Social Aspects

I've been resilient to peer pressure. I contrast this when I see bloggers talking about how hard it was to become minimalist, and the many social aspects that come with it. For example, take a look at this mnmlist article. How many of those are external? Social? People created?

I'm not going to pretend that this blog isn't on the social fringe. It's common to make fun of GNU/Linux users as bearded, socially-inept, khaki wearing weirdos (and their OS as a tin can and string, decorated with wooden sticks), as easy as it is to want to criticize a minimalist for their life choices. I've heard both. But I don't seem to be affected by either.

I've lived with minimalism and Linux for so long that it's not even broadcast and yet it still gets communicated. I whip out my LG Flare, the dumbest dumbphone you can possibly imagine, and I wield it with nary a pause. I have gotten questions about it, but I explain that it costs me a grand total of $20 every three months and people understand. My use of the Mac has stifled my love for Linux to be openly communicated, but rest assured it's still there. (Finder does not have a merge function? What?!)

I've come to realize things about myself, the most important of which is that I'm naturally a person. My passions simply seep through the cracks and are communicated naturally. Either I'm respected for it or judged for it, and the latter just doesn't seem to matter. Yes, I have a terrible phone. Your pitying look does not phase me. I have no interest in upgrading to a phone that can do everything and more just because of the social ramifications. I'll upgrade when it's cheap enough and not as convoluted in endless contracts and options.

This is all internal, below conscious level stuff, which is why it's fascinating. I so quickly realize that my external self-expression is largely out of my hands. I dated a new friend and on the first date I popped in an orchestration arrangement of video game music without blinking an eye. In retrospect this may have been a little embarrassing, but at least it set her up to know what she was getting into.

Nothing about my personality is planned. I am not a meticulous craftsman. I'm just aiming for what makes me happy. I think this makes the difference. If you focus on making an outwardly focused persona, and it becomes judged, it's slightly your failure to not create your mask in the correct way. But being yourself is much more healthy, and it's not for the benefit of others. It's just what makes you and me happy to be.

2 comments:

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aberinkulas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.