Public service announcement

Don't install the Fedora 14 beta right before a test that may or may not require Eclipse to develop an application. Yes, that's Minimal Linux, here to give you the most helpful tips in the free software realm!

Fedora's GRUB wouldn't boot Debian, and the OS in general was a general not-working pain in the ass. I nuked it all and installed the only thing lying around in my bag: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, 64-bit (I don't even know how that got in there). I'll live in that while I plan my next move, which is shaping up to be Debian Testing with Gnome. I'm being cautious, though, because that beta scarred me for a while, but also because Ubuntu's vaguely nostalgic for me in a bizarre way that I can't explain, especially because it's on my desktop and has been for months.

Did you know that Ubuntu 10.04 has an OLD version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and Fedora doesn't have it at all, while Debian is totally updated and ready to rock? I don't even need to know why. It just solidifies my resolution to run the darn thing.

---

As a minimal Linux application tip for the day, I offer surf, on the (aggressively described) "suckless" galaxy of Unix-themed programs. Lightweight webkit-based web browsing, with a balance between the nimble Links2 and the actual, you know, web standards displaying features of Firefox or Chrome. I'll pass judgment when I get my house of cards in order.

No comments: