Debian 2: This Time It's Useful


I shouldn't be so mean. In fact, if I had tried hard enough, I could have made do with the command line in Debian just fine.

Think about it. I can browse (most of) the internet with Elinks -- which I've discovered and like more than Lynx now. I can listen to music with MOC. I can type text and code with my new friend Vim*. I can entertain myself with Nethack and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

I don't know about you, but this seems pretty nifty to me. The desktop seems to be churning fine, and while the software may be different, I'm doing the same old stuff I did before.

Well, with the GUI I can move and organize files, sure. Firefox is still a darling. Gnome doesn't take up that much power, so I use both. Amazon MP3's downloader software was actually compiled when Debian 5.0 was new, so that runs well enough.

Can I just say how much I'm liking Debian? It's like Ubuntu, except I can tell it what to do! (If my sarcasm is not going over well: I've been using Debian on and off since the release of Etch - I just switched because I like brown) The repositories are varied and well stocked, the software is stable and secure, and it takes up very little room. My delight at not having to update every day is, if not sad, at least inspiring in some capacity.

We all have our simple pleasures. I just get all a flutter when Debian doesn't need another update. Such stability! Oh my!

*Does everyone go crazy when they're learning Vim? I'm typing ZZ in my sleep constantly. DON'T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR CHANGES BEFORE YOU QUIT!

Minimalist Tip of the Day: Feeling fat? Thin your RSS feed reader. I went from thirty to twenty feeds, which is certainly an accomplishment. A few of these are very, VERY low traffic feeds, so if it seems a lot, it's isn't.

No comments: